- This article relates to the canonical games. See Pikipedia's "Whiptongue Bulborb" article for more canonical information.
|Scientific name||Oculus longolingua|
|Areas||Tropical Wilds, Distant Tundra|
|Challenge Mode levels||Tropical Forest, Beastly Caverns, Thirsty Desert, Distant Tundra Remix, Formidable Oak Remix, Stagnant Sea, Jigsaw Fortress, Blooming Terrace, Buried Pond, Sandbox Kingdom, Jigsaw Colosseum|
|P3 Poko Value||× 50|
The Whiptongue Bulborb is a member of the grub-dog family, but is different from the others in that it has a long tongue that it uses to slurp up Pikmin. Its tongue can catch Pikmin, somewhat like the Emperor Bulblax, but quicker and much less destructive. It has a brown face, much in contrast to the paler face of the Red Bulborb, with a long snout at the end that the tongue comes out of, as well as a distinctive white body with black spots, and blue eyes. Strangely, no dwarf species of it are known to exist.
The Whiptongue Bulborb can be quite a dangerous foe because not only does it constantly roam around, leaving no part of its body exposed for long, but its long tongue allows it to ensnare batches of Pikmin from a distance. This bulborb species attacks with its long, flexible tongue, which allows it to quickly devour Pikmin from much greater distances than other members of the grub-dog family. It doesn't sleep when unaware of the presence of Pikmin. Instead, it will rummage through the ground and sniff around the surrounding area. When leaders or Pikmin are nearby, it will quickly shuffle towards them. If the Pikmin are standing within attack range, it will launch its tongue outward as a means of consuming them. Up to five Pikmin can be snagged at a time by this move. However, if Pikmin are standing beside it or are attacking its feet, it will lap up individual Pikmin one at a time at a slightly slower pace. Just like all other grub-dogs, it can be temporarily incapacitated by throwing Pikmin directly at its eyes.
- "Structural flaw: eyeballs, back / Weight: 12 / This model has a surprising feature! I'm very impressed at the speed with which it employs its long, flexible tongue. Though I'm also dismayed at its unnerving wakefulness and the difficulty we seem to have sneaking past it."
- "Not a fan of this one's style. Too plain. Too beige. And too big. Where's the little version of this guy? It's gotta have one, right? Though maybe not. After all, I don't have a little version of myself."
- "That long tongue isn't just a sensory organ—it's a deadly weapon. It uses that thing like a pro. I tried some exercises to see if I could get my tongue to do that, but I kept biting it by accident. Always in the same place, too. I hate that."
- "Pat the tongue dry, then coat all sides with a spicy dry rub of your choice. Grill over high heat until the outside is perfectly crisped!"
- "Instead of the gnashing jaws usually found in related species, it uses its extensible, viscous tongue to capture prey. Even before it opens its mouth, it's recognizable by its tapered snout and black spots against its white back. Some theorized that it evolved its long tongue to snatch prey drawn to high-blooming flowers, but others point out that no infant specimens have ever been seen, suggesting a radically different biological branch. It has only recently been reclassified as part of the grub-dog family."
In fanon games
This is where users type their version of the Whiptongue Bulborb.
In Pikmin: Wide World
|"The world is larger than one may think."
This article or section relates to Pikmin: Wide World, a non-canon game created by Cheepy-Cheepy.
|Poko value||× 8|
|Sparklium worth||× 5|
|Battle point value||× 40|
The Whiptongue Bulborb in Pikmin: Wide World as a grub-dog that is exclusive to Arid Oasis and its caves. Its dwarf counterpart, the Dwarf Whiptongue Bulborb, can be found in the same area. Instead of sleeping, Whiptongue Bulborbs explore their territory in search of prey. If a Whiptongue Bulborb notices leaders or Pikmin in its territory, it will give chase and try to eat them, only leaving them alone if they flee far enough away or exit its territory. Whiptongue Bulborbs, unlike most other grub-dogs, attack using a long, flexible, sticky tongue somewhat like an Emperor Bulblax's, but much smaller and more slender.
Whiptongue Bulborbs are the general shape and size of other bulborbs but have a tapered snout instead of the usual bulborb facial structure. They have a brown face, a light cream-colored backside with black spots, and dull blue eyes with white sclerae. They lack fangs, but each of their four claws is white in color.
Defeating Whiptongue Bulborbs can be tricky because they are always awake, and aware of their surroundings. Although it is possible to sneak up on a Whiptongue Bulborb, it is very unlikely because it is always in motion and will notice even the quietest sound. As a head-on conflict against one of the creatures is inevitable, the optimal course of action would be to throw Pikmin at its eyes to inflict minor damage, cause the creature to flinch, and make it release any Pikmin in its mouth. Doing this will also free any Pikmin stuck to its tongue, as the creature will be wildly wriggling it around in pain. It will immediately spit out a leader it laps up, but any Pikmin in its mouth at the time will remain there until they are either freed or swallowed. Upon death, a Whiptongue Bulborb will yield × 5. Aboveground, its body can be taken to either the Dolphin Lander for × 8 or the Master Onion for ten Pikmin seeds. Underground, its carcass can be carried to the Lander Pod to either receive × 8 or be stored for later to gain ten Pikmin seeds of choice from the Master Onion, but only if the cave is exited using an escape geyser.
- "Easily recognizable by its tapered snout, the whiptongue bulborb feeds exclusively on small prey using its long tongue. Whether said prey is airborne or on the ground does not matter, and prey that is too large for the creature's small mouth will simply be spat out. The creature is always on the hunt for food and has not yet been witnessed sleeping."
- "Even if it is a bit large, this creature would be perfect for lapping up the pesky flies that find their way indoors in Hocotate Freight, especially during the summer. I can't stand the little pests always buzzing around me!"
- "Whiptongue bulborbs prefer sunny, humid environments above all others. Because of their little mouths, larger meals should be cut into sections to allow the creatures to feed easily. Because they are cathemeral creatures, they are active during both day and night, and may disturb the sleep schedules of their owners."
- "The creature's tongue is its most delectable part. Cut it into small chunks, season with red chili powder, and deep-fry for a spicy, bite-size snack!"
Dolphin Lander's notes
- "What a silly-looking bulborb! It has a cute little smile all the time, but from some angles, it looks like it's in an awkward situation, and I can't help but feel a little sorry for it."
In Whiptongue Bulborb Game
In Whiptongue Bulborb Game, players control a Whiptongue Bulborb.