- This article relates to the canonical games. See Pikipedia's "Sandbelching Meerslug" article for more canonical information.
|Attacks||Eats Pikmin, shoots clumps of sand, creates sand pits|
The Sandbelching Meerslug is a light brown, amphibian-like creature resembling a lamprey, with very small eyes, thick purple lips and two rows of large, sharp teeth. Further down its body, it gets wider and harbors spike-like protrusions.
Upon treading into the Sandbelching Meerslug's territory, leaders and Pikmin are immediately targetted by the large creature. The Sandbelching Meerslug moves quickly and does not show itself while on the move. Due to its enormous size, however, it can easily be seen burrowing just below the layer of sand in its arena. It will chase any leaders or Pikmin down and then follow up by either emerging from the sand, where it will spit sand balls and at the same time be vulnerable, or burrow deeper into the sand and create a sinkhole to bring Pikmin and leaders down to its mouth, where they are eaten at a considerable rate. Leaders bitten by the creature take heavy damage. When damaged enough or fed a bomb-rock, the Meerslug will be forced from the ground and lay as a massive target for all Pikmin for a moment. Once it recomposes itself, it will burrow back into the ground and repeat its assault. The Sandbelching Meerslug has two basic attacks but has many different ways to execute them. As its health gets lower, the attacks get more dangerous.
There are three ways it can make a sinkhole:
- It may stop and burrow underground to create a sinkhole. Pikmin that aren't fast enough to escape will be eaten at the bottom.
- When about half of its health has been depleted, it may spiral around the arena for a few moments before turning the whole arena into a sinkhole.
- Below half health, it may abruptly come to a stop and create a steep sinkhole.
It can also attack by shooting sand:
- It may rise out of the sand and shoot three small sand boulders that can bury Pikmin they land on. Pluck them to get them out of the sand before the Meerslug can eat them.
- After a quarter of its health is gone, it may shoot between five to seven sand boulders a bit faster than before.
- Below half health, it may start shooting out three giant sand boulders.
- Below half health, it may also shoot many smaller boulders in rapid succession.
Bomb-rocks can also be thrown into the creature's mouth whilst it is creating a vortex to cause damage. This also causes it to jump out of the sand, which makes it the only of getting Pikmin and leaders to safety should they be caught in its walled sinkhole. When a Pikmin with a bomb-rock is thrown into the creature's sinkhole, it'll drop the explosive and run out of the hole without even needing to be whistled. If Pikmin holding bomb-rocks are buried, the bomb rock will instantly go off. As such, it may be wise to keep them with another leader.
Upon its defeat, the Sandbelching Meerslug will spit out whatever valuables it had swallowed.
|Armored Cannon Beetle • Beady Long Legs • Burrowing Snagret • Emperor Bulblax • Goolix • Mamuta • Puffstool • Smoky Progg|
|Beady Long Legs • Burrowing Snagret • Emperor Bulblax • Empress Bulblax • Giant Breadbug • Man-at-Legs • Pileated Snagret • Raging Long Legs • Ranging Bloyster • Segmented Crawbster • Titan Dweevil • Waterwraith|
|Armored Mawdad • Baldy Long Legs • Bug-Eyed Crawmad • Burrowing Snagret • Plasm Wraith Quaggled Mireclops • Sandbelching Meerslug • Scornet Maestro • Shaggy Long Legs • Vehemoth Phosbat|
|Armurk • Berserk Leech Hydroe • Electric Cottonade • Emperor Bulblax • Fiery Blowhog • Long Water Dumple • Luring Slurker • Queen Shearwig • Red Bulborb|