- This article relates to the canonical games. See Pikipedia's "Iridescent Flint Beetle" article for more canonical information.
| Iridescent Flint Beetle
| Scientific name
|| Pilli envelopens
|| Flint beetle
|| Impact Site, Forest of Hope, Forest Navel, Awakening Wood, Garden of Hope, Twilight River
|| Citadel of Spiders, Cavern of Chaos, Hole of Heroes, Dream Den
| Challenge Mode
|| Novice Training
The Iridescent Flint Beetle is harmless and will remain underground until a Leader or Pikmin approaches its resting spot. Once active, the Flint Beetle will scurry about in no particular direction; only away from its attackers after being hit. It moves quickly and can be difficult to hit at times, but repeatedly flipping it over for up to three times will provide increasingly valuable rewards. After being hit three times, or being active for a certain amount of time, the creature will scurry back underground. Though it does not die, it will not return for the rest of the day. When hit, it can produce nectar or other rewards such as pellets.
- "Flint beetles are nocturnal, choosing to hide in the grass by day and stay active at night. These creatures keep undigested food pellets in their stomachs to sustain them through winter, but given the right stimulus they will spit them out. Recent research has revealed that these pellets are enveloped in a membrane that seals and preserves them in a sterile, airtight environment. If kept at room temperature, it seems that this pellet membrane will keep its contents fresh for up to six months. The membrane may be made from the same substance that gives the exoskeleton of the flint beetle its beautiful sheen."
- "An essential flavor-accenting ingredient in gumbo and jambalaya. Also delicious in soups, broths, and marinades."
- "Place in a tank akin to a hamster's pen, with tubes attached to the sides in an interconnected network. Layer with mulch along the bottom, then throw in liberal clippings of grass for the beetle to hide in. Feed with standard food pellets and clean the cage regularly."
- "Although hard and tough, this beetle's shell shimmers like a beautiful stone. It's a perfect substitute for refined jade in jewelrycraft!"
- "Essentially, this creature is invincible; attacking it just triggers it to spit out Pellets and other foodstuffs. Luckily, it's not hostile, although Pikmin do go crazy for it."
- "The creature's stomach makes for a perfect holding cell for small creatures, especially those of the Mandiblard family. The membrane generated by the stomach enzymes can hold all sorts of potions and keep them preserved for months."